How do I get a care assessment?

If you are in need of social care, whether it’s in your own home or a nursing home, a care needs assessment is the first step.

How do I get an assessment of care needs?

Get in touch with the adult social services department of your local council and ask for a care assessment. Explain that you might require help to manage tasks everyday such as accessing your community.

An assessment is free, and everyone is entitled to one no matter your income level and regardless of what those care needs might turn out to be, whether you need a care home or live-in care. For more information on Live in Care Bath, visit a site like, suppliers of Live in Care Bath.

Image credit

Can I organise one for a family member family or a friend?

Yes, but people have to agree to have one (unless they do not have the capacity or are unable to communicate decisions on their own).

What does a care assessment involve?

A social care professional will usually come to see you to find out how you manage your everyday tasks. You may be offered an assessment on the phone or online. You don’t have to do this, and you want a face-to-face meeting, you can request one. They will examine:

The emotional and social side of your life

Your abilities

Cultural and religious needs and support network

Physical difficulties you may encounter or risks

Health or housing requirements

What you want to happen

Information about your needs from your caregiver, if you want them to be involved in your assessment.

Appraisers will also talk with other professionals who care for you, such as a doctor or nurse, if you are happy for them to do so. This is to make sure everyone is on the same page with regards to your needs.

The local council should do the most to assist you. They should consider what assistance you need now, and in the future.

How can I prepare for the assessment?

Think about what kind of help you need. Be specific, for example:

‘I need someone to help me get up and get dressed in the morning’

‘I need help to wash’

‘Someone needs to remind me about medication’

Image credit

Try to have a carer, friend or family member there for you if you can although if you have nobody available, the council will supply someone to support you if you struggle communicating or understanding.

Am I eligible for assistance from social services?

Each local council will have their own way of carrying out assessments, however there are national guidelines they must follow as to who is entitled to support. They must consider three questions in their decisions:

Do you have the support needs as a result of a physical or mental condition?

Are you unable to achieve the desired two or more outcomes as a result of the need for care and support?

Is there a significant impact on your well-being?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.