The pesto pistachio is an alternative to prepare this famous sauce, reaping the benefits of one of the most commonly consumed nuts. It is nutritionally dense and has positive health effects, but it is also high in calories.
We are going to tell you everything you need to know to prepare a wonderful pistachio pesto. However, remember that this recipe must be integrated into the context of a balanced and varied diet. It is important that the spectrum of foods consumed is wide in order to reduce the risk of nutritional deficiencies.
Benefits of consuming pistachios
Before getting fully into the preparation of the recipe, we want to talk to you about the benefits of pistachios. First of all, these nuts stand out for their content of unsaturated fatty acids. These nutrients help modulate inflammatory levels in the body, as stated in a study published in the journal Biochemical Society Transactions.
It is important to guarantee a regular consumption of healthy lipids in order to prevent the development of cardiovascular diseases. This reduces the incidence of atherosclerosis, among other chronic and complex diseases.
Pistachio is very nutritious and delicious
Likewise, pistachios have phytonutrients with a marked anti-inflammatory character inside. These compounds fight the formation of free radicals and their subsequent accumulation in the tissues, which is related to a lower risk of cancer. This is evidenced by research published in Current Pharmaceutical Design.
Keep in mind that pistachios are a source of fiber. This substance stimulates intestinal transit, thus reducing constipation. It manages to increase the volume of the fecal bolus, generating greater activation of the intestinal mechanoreceptors and more intense peristaltic movements.
Finally, it should be noted that pistachios have a significant concentration of iron. This mineral is key in preventing anemia, according to a review published in The Medical Clinics of North America. However, it is important that it is consumed with a certain dose of vitamin C to enhance its absorption, which is generally not optimal.
How to prepare pistachio pesto?
We are now going to comment on how to prepare the pistachio pesto well. Pay attention because the recipe is simple, but it should be followed to the letter.
- 80 grams of shelled pistachios.
- 40 grams of basil.
- 75 grams of grated Parmesan.
- Two cloves of garlic.
- 50 milliliters of heavy cream.
- 100 milliliters of extra virgin olive oil.
Step by Step
- The preparation method is very similar to that of traditional pesto, with pine nuts, but substituting the main ingredient. To begin, it is necessary to wash the basil leaves well, removing impurities and stems. It is always preferable to opt for fresh basil since it has a much higher flavor power than that sold dry.
- Once it is clean, it drains into a container. At the same time, the garlic cloves are peeled and cut into very small pieces. It is key to get them as finely chopped as possible. The pistachios and skins are peeled off so that they are well cleaned.
- Then they are introduced into the glass of blender pistachios, basil, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, and cream. It is beaten at maximum power until a homogeneous mixture is reached, without stumbling. It is important that the final result is as smooth as possible.
- The last step is to add the grated Parmesan cheese, although it can be replaced by another with similar organoleptic characteristics. It mixes well so that the mixture thickens. In the event that the texture is too dense, you can add a little water at the end, in order to achieve a more liquid result.
- Keep in mind that pistachio pesto keeps well in the fridge, it lasts 4 or 5 days in the refrigerator without any problem. Now, we recommend that you keep it covered in a glass jar so that its organoleptic characteristics are not spoiled.