Nausea occurs as a feeling of discomfort in the stomach that is usually accompanied by episodes of vomiting. This condition can be due to several factors, such as food poisoning, side effects of certain medications, pregnancy, ulcers, motion sickness, and reflux.
Although it is not necessary to run to the doctor every time you feel any noise coming from the stomach, it is important to pay attention to the signs that could indicate the presence of a problem. Fortunately, there is a wide variety of products that will help you treat this condition naturally and with effective results.
These remedies are given here:
- Breathe fresh air
- Lie down
- Place a cold compress on the neck
- Smell a slice of lemon or peppermint oil
- Toast with milk
- Avoid dehydration
- Follow the BACT diet
- Vomiting: The more time you spend with the feeling of nausea inside the stomach, the greater the damage caused to the esophagus. If you feel the need to vomit, do not resist, since expelling the problem will make you feel much better.
- Breathe fresh air: Going outside and breathing fresh air is essential when it comes to quelling nausea. If you are sick and cannot go for a walk, we recommend you open the window, sit on the balcony or turn on the fan at minimum.
- Lie down: Close the curtains, and lie down on the bed, with your head on a single pillow and your knees bent to avoid any pressure on the abdomen area. Once in bed, perform breathing exercises to calm nausea.
- Place a cold compress on the neck: Take an ice pack and apply it on the back of the neck, in order to reduce the intensity of nausea. If you do not have ice packs, you can dip a towel in cold water and follow the same procedure.
- Ginger cures everything: Ginger is a magic ingredient used to treat a wide variety of conditions, including nausea, as its compounds promote the secretion of various gastric juices and enzymes that neutralize heartburn. A cup of tea with a spoonful of grated ginger can work wonders with stomach pain. If you prefer cold drinks, you can replace the tea with a glass of Ginger Ale, a soft drink made from ginger.
If you want to make ginger tea and Ginger Ale at home, follow these instructions:
- 1 ginger root
- 2-3 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of honey (optional)
- Cutting board
How to prepare it?
Make sure you thoroughly wash the ginger root to eliminate all bacteria. Then grate the ginger or cut it into small pieces. On the other hand, boil two or three cups of water for 5 minutes, then add the ginger, and let boil another 5 minutes.
Remove the container from the heat, and pour the infusion into a cup. If you wish, you can strain the preparation before pouring it into the cup. To improve the flavor you can incorporate a teaspoon of honey or cinnamon.
- 2 cups chopped ginger root
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cup of water
- 1 liter of sparkling water
- ½ cup of sugar
- Various ice cubes
How to prepare it?
Place 1 cup of water in a pot and bring to a boil. Then, add the ginger and pass over medium heat and let the mixture cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 20 minutes. Now, strain the ginger with the help of a fine mesh sieve.
On the other hand, prepare syrup by dissolving the 1/2 of sugar in the second cup of boiling water. Once you have all the ingredients ready, prepare the ginger ale in individual glasses, mixing 1/2 cup of ginger water with 1/2 cup of syrup and 1/2 cup of soda or aerated water. Add a few drops of lemon juice and several ice cubes.
- Smell a slice of lemon or peppermint oil: Chances are you never thought that the essence of peppermint oil or lemon oil could help you heal nausea. However, it turns out that the powerful aromas of both ingredients help relieve stomach upset. We recommend cutting the lemon into slices and keeping it in an airtight bag, in order to have it within reach for emergencies. You can also incorporate a few slices of lemon into your ginger tea, both to enhance the flavor and to complement the benefits.
- Toast with milk: Toast is an excellent food to treat stomach problems, as bread helps absorb excess acidity in the stomach, which usually causes nausea and vomiting. On the other hand, milk forms a kind of protective layer in the stomach that helps to avoid the effects of some foods. This preparation is not recommended in people with gastritis.
Instructions for preparing toast with milk
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 toast
- 1 piece of butter
How to prepare it?
Heat a cup of milk without letting it boil. Pour the milk into a small bowl, and let it cool for a few minutes. Prepare the toast and spread a small amount of butter on one side. Cut the toast into small pieces, place it inside the bowl with milk and eat it slowly.
- Avoid dehydration: After suffering from food poisoning or episodes of vomiting, the body loses a lot of fluids and electrolytes. For this reason, it is essential to compensate for this loss to avoid a possible case of dehydration. Make sure you drink plenty of water in small sips and a glass of some sports drink to recover the electrolytes and keep you hydrated.
- Follow the BACT diet: The term BACT is an acronym for Bananas, Rice, Apple Compote and Toast. These foods, characterized by being light and low in fibers, help limit gastrointestinal problems. If you feel you can eat, you can start with any of these foods.
- Stretching: Aches and discomfort in the back and neck can become one of the causes of the onset of nausea. Try stretching exercises to relieve tension in those areas and avoid stomach changes.
Stretching exercises for the back: Place a mat or towel on the floor and position your body as if you were doing push-ups. With the support of the arms, raise the upper part of the body, arching the back as much as possible and bringing the head back. The chin should be in the direction of the roof and the body in a “U” position.
Stretching exercises for the neck: Sit on a chair and bring your head forward, so that your chin crashes against your chest. Hold this position for 20 seconds and return to the starting position. Then bring your head to one shoulder, hold the position for 20 seconds and relax. Repeat the same procedure to the other side.